About Camp RoCA
About Camp RoCA
Welcome to Arts Camp @ RoCA!
A place for children to explore their creativity and imagination while developing skills they can bring back to the classroom and use throughout their lives. RoCA is a place for developing artists to explore various art forms in our professionally equipped studios.
Arts Camp @ RoCA features one of the region’s most comprehensive youth art programs. Under the guidance of professional teaching artists/educators and caring counselors, campers explore the arts in a supportive environment where creative expression, group cooperation, personal development, confidence and self-esteem are encouraged. RoCA campers feel a strong sense of accomplishment at the end of summer.
Arts Camp @ RoCA is FUN – a place where memories are made and children forge lasting friendships with their peers and counselors. Children are grouped by grade level. Each season is based on a different theme and campers learn to express themselves through both visual and performing arts.
Join us and see why Camp RoCA is one of the area’s most sought after, unique and praised day camps.
Feedback from a Camp Parent from the Journal News article published 1/25/18:
For Wendy Czerwinski, whose son is 14 and on the cusp of working as a junior camp counselor, the criteria are far different: She wants a unique experience that can enrich his summer and keep him happy.
“For the past two years we’ve gone to Rockland Center of the Arts because unlike a traditional camp, everybody is fully self-expressed,” she says. "I’m looking for a place where he’s going to be happy for six hours."
“I tried to ... give him a change of scenery for the summer," she says, adding that the RoCA camp is "like a retreat and relaxing. It’s empowering for the kids.”
Wendy Czerwinski is still working out the details for this summer but wants to keep the focus on fun for her son. "I don't follow the crowd. Considering I live in Suffern and traveled to West Nyack for camp, he always came out smiling."
Activities and Instruction
• Swimming (Instruction & Recreation)
• NEW! Gardening
• Art & Nature
• Painting & Drawing
• NEW! Sculpture in the Park Program
• 3D Art
• NEW! Yoga
• Theater Arts
• Dance & Movement
• Field Games
Studio Art Programs
Camp RoCA offers a range of studio-based art activities. Professional teaching artists create a curriculum based on the overall theme of the summer and the ages of the campers in the group.
• Painting & Drawing
• Sculpture - 3D/Sculpture class is an outstanding and exciting experience for RoCA kids. We will venture on a journey through time and space to create art! We will work with various sculptural materials to create objects associated with fun camp themes. Students will create individual sculptural pieces, as well as large scale collaborative sculptural works. At RoCA, campers are involved in all aspects of the creative process, such as design ideas, constructing, building and sculpting their final masterpieces!
• Art & Nature - The objective of Art and Nature is to facilitate an imaginative environment outdoors. Campers get hands dirty exploring nature in the intersecting space of fine arts, assemblage, earth art, and folk art. Campers work spontaneously with a variety of materials on self-directed projects that range from small clay installations, to mandalas made of leaves, berries, and acorns, to large-scale branch constructions
• Cartooning - Join us while we explore our diverse summer camp themes while creating original cartoon characters! We will focus on different facial expressions and emotions. We will also introduce how color, background and composition can bring a drawing to life.
• Dance - Each week of camp, the dance class' style will change. For example, each group will learn jazz, hip hop, and tap to name a few. Dance includes stretching, warming up all muscles, learning moves for a specific style, as well as learning choreography. Video clips may be used to show an example for a class, such as Swan Lake for ballet. Each class is focused to motivate children to be active and expressive, while learning basic technique and dance moves. Each session, more dance vocabulary will be added and broaden the student’s overall dance experience. The class and music are a variety that all will enjoy. In addition, the class will have a small amount of time to give each child the opportunity to create their own character, such as styling their own dance poses or creating their own choreography.
Campers enjoy recreational swimming daily and instructional swimming Tuesday-Thursday, weather permitting, in our large, sparkling pool. Children learn safety, sportsmanship and swimming skills. Games such as water polo and relay races reinforce these basics. The swimming program is under the supervision of an adult specialist who is a certified professional rescuer trained in Water Safety Instruction, Lifeguarding, Lifeguard Management, CPR and first aid. Camp lifeguards are BLS certified. A camp Medical Director is on site.
The children participate in supervised outdoor activities on our two-acre field. Non-competitive field games round out the program and give children plenty of wholesome physical activity.
Musical Theater Mondays and Fridays
Musical Theater is the focus of the Monday/Friday program. Campers perform songs, dances and short scenes from Broadway musicals. Working together, they create their own props, costumes and scenery, and then bring it all to life in an exciting.